Tuesday, March 7, 2017

towed

So this week was an interesting one. Our car got towed Tuesday morning, because we forgot to transfer stickers into our new car from our old one.. So that kinda sucked, because we had to pay $140 dollars for it.. Its all good though, we got it back! This week we also had a sweet Zone training that I had the opportunity of conducting. It was a ton of fun and we had some really good trainings on the 4th missionary talk, as well as some others on seeking personal Revelation. After that, our week was seeming to kinda fall apart. We had to drop a bunch of investigators because they weren't really progressing, which always sucks and hurts a little bit. One man in particular, is a single dad of two kids who has been through everything you can imagine. we have been teaching him for a while, and he hasn't really progressed. He is a terrible alcoholic, and doesn't really want to change. Well Elder Kendrick and I decided that we needed to stop going by even though we really loved this man. So we went last night to drop him, and he broke down and talked with us on his porch about how hard his life is and all that he is going through. We testified that the Savior and his Atonement can fix literally anything. And he just wouldn't listen. I began to get frustrated because he had the answers to all of his problems, yet he just wouldn't accept them. Finally Gerald went inside and just before he shut the door, he said "I love you boys" My heart and Elder Kendricks was completely shattered. We sat in our car not necessarily knowing what to do. Gerald did invite us over tonight though. We have been praying that all will go well. This was a testimony to me of agency. No matter how many times or sincerely we share our message, people still have the opportunity to choose. At times its kinda frustrating, but truly the plan that Heavenly Father has laid out for us is beautiful..and that is what this experience taught me. We do have a plan, and we can only be helped if we are willing. I am excited to work with Gerald tonight, it will be good. I have faith in Heavenly Father and his timing.

On a side note, we were knocking some houses in our area, one of them being a trailer park, and we knocked on one that smelled like weed super bad, and a guy answered the door and just swung it wide open... and wouldn't you know it, there was a man sitting on the couch cleaning his arm and getting ready for what looked like a needle full of heroine.. it was a little shocking, but we tried to share a message anyway haha! They declined and we went on our way! And one day we were knocking some doors in the more ghetto part of our area, and one fence said beware of dog.. so of course I was like we need to try that house. So we did, and a little boy swung open the door.. and out came two ripped pit bulls... I took a couple steps back when they started barking! Luckily though alls they did was lick my hands and let me pet them,  still kinda freaky though haha! Anyhow this week was a good one to say the least, some trials, but we also had lots of success in finding families. I love every day that i have out here. I cant wait for the next few months to come!! More to come next week!

Love Elder Kirby

I feel like I should add that I was definitely prompted by the spirit to knock the pit bull house, I wasn't being an idiot haha! just so everyone knows!


Questions:

1. Where do you do your laundry? A members house

2. Most embarrassing moment? Peeing my pants! (no further explanation)

3. What events are in the zonolympics? Stick pull, 3 point shooting, running, curls, push ups, and sit ups.

4. Which ones are you doing?
All of them! I qualified in 3 pointers, I hit 3 of the 5! (thanks cedar hills young men)

5. Strangest thing you've had happen?
Saw a guy doing heroin.

6. Spiritual thought or message?
  The Atonement has been on my mind a lot this week, and to understand the atonement we have to be prepared to walk just a fraction of what he walked. Not saying we could endure what the savior did, because that would be frankly sacrilegious. But we must be prepared to endure somewhat of the sorrow the savior did. Somewhat of the humiliation he went through. "Missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience."- Jeffery R. Holland This statement was from a compilation of talks called "Missionary work and the Atonement" The Atonement to me is everything to me. As soon as we are willing to submit our will to the Fathers, and face our challenges head on..then can we truly feel the power of our Saviors infinite atonement. I testify of this and of its healing power in the sacred name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

 Zone Training.
Zone Training
Photo credit Sister Gardner




No comments:

Post a Comment